Ireks Pumpernickel - Bread
Preparation Time: 2-3 hours
Proofing and Resting Time: 60 - 70 minutes
Baking Time: 40 - 50 minutes
Outcome: 2 loaf
Tools needed: Mixer including bowl, kitchen scale and baking tin
- 250 g Pumpernickel
- 250 ml Water, warm (60° C)
Swelling time 2 – 3 hours
- 250 g Wheat flour (Type 550)
- 500 g Soaked grain
- 5 g Salt
- 11 g Instant yeast
- 120 ml Water, approx.
1. Soak Pumpernickel with Water (60°C). After 2 - 3 hours, mix all Ingredients for 2 minutes slow and 6 minutes fast. We recommend using cold water to keep the dough temperature at max. 27°C.
2. Once mixed, cover with a kitchen towel or plastic foil and start the bulk fermentation time for 20 minutes.
3. Scale the dough 690 - 695 g pieces and mould the dough in your preferred shape, we recommend long and oval.Place into greased baking tins or on trays.
4. Allow the dough to final proof for 40 - 50 minutes, we recommend covering the baking tray with a plastic foil or cling film to keep the moisture in the dough. If you press your finger in the dough and it comes back halfway it’s ready to bake.
5. Score the tops of the dough pieces to stop the crust cracking. We recommend one long score along the middle.
6. The oven should have a temperature of 190°C when you insert the Loaves.
7. After approximately 5 minutes of baking, decrease the temperature to 160°C and bake the bread for 40 - 50 minutes