French Village Mix - Rustic Bread
Preparation Time: 9 – 12 minutes
Proofing and Resting Time: 65 - 80 minutes
Baking Time: 50 - 60 minutes
Outcome: 1 Loaf
Tools needed: Mixer including bowl, Kitchen scale, 2x1 kg Proofing bowls, Baking tray and 3 Ice cubes
- 250 g French Village mix
- 250 g Wheat flour (Type 550)
- 8 g Roggena
- 11 g Instant yeast
- 375 ml. Water, approx
1. Mix all Ingredients for 6 minutes slow and 3 minutes fast. We recommend using cold water to keep
the dough temperature at max. 27° C.
2. Cover the bowl and start the bulk fermentation for 20-30 minutes.
3. After bulk fermentation, scale the dough into 890 - 900 g pieces. Mould the dough into your preferred
shape, we recommend round.
4. Place the dough pieces into flour dusted proofing bowls with the seam facing downwards.
5. Allow the dough to final proof for 45 - 50 minutes, we recommend covering the baking tray with
plastic foil or cling film to keep the moisture in the dough. If you press your finger in the dough and it
comes back halfway it’s ready to bake.
6. Then, overturn the proofing bowls onto a greased baking tray.
7. Score the tops of the dough pieces to stop the crust cracking. We recommend one long score along
8. The oven should have a temperature of 220°C when you put the loaves in. We recommend putting 2 -
3 ice cubes on the bottom of the oven to get a steaming effect for a nice crust.
9. After approximately 1 - 2 minutes of baking decrease the temperature to 150°C and bake the loaves
for 50 - 60 minutes.