Kerniges - Bread
Preparation Time: 9 - 11 minutes
Proofing and Resting Time: 65 - 80 minutes
Baking Time: 35 - 40 minutes
Outcome: 2 loaf
Tools needed: Mixer including bowl, kitchen scale, baking tray and 3 ice cubes
- 250 g Kerniges
- 250 g Wheat flour (type 550)
- 11 g Instant yeast
- 5 g Salt
- 300 ml Water, approx.
1. Mix all Ingredients for 7 minutes slow and 2 minutes fast. We recommend using cold water to keep
the dough temperature at a max of 27° C.
2. Once mixed, cover the bowl and start the bulk fermentation time for 15 - 20 minutes.
3. Scale the dough into 405 - 410g pieces. Cover the dough pieces and start the intermediate proof time
for 10 minutes.
4. Mould the dough in your preferred shape, we recommend long and oval, then place into greased tins.
5. Sift the tops of the dough with flour.
6. Allow the dough to final proof for 40 - 50 minutes, we recommend covering the baking tray with
plastic foil or cling film to keep the moisture in the dough. If you press your finger in the dough and it
comes halfway back its ready to bake.
7. Score the tops of the dough pieces to stop the crust cracking. We recommend one long score along
8. The oven should have a temperature of 190°C when you put the loaves in. We recommend placing 2 -
3 ice cubes on the bottom of the oven to receive a steaming effect for a nice crust.
9. After approximately 5 minutes of baking, decrease the temperature to 160°C and bake the loaves for
35 – 40 minutes.